July 14, 2017
For Immediate Release: Tourism Vancouver Island’s thoughts and well wishes are with the areas throughout British Columbia that are being impacted by wildfires. This is impacting residents and businesses alike and certainly has had an impact on people’s vacation plans. We encourage people who have been planning on travelling to BC to review the most current information on affected areas, but to also be aware of the many areas in BC that are still open for business and welcoming visitors. Visiting the province will add to the economy of the province and ultimately support those areas which have been impacted by wildfires.
We would like to assure guests and visitors coming to the Vancouver Island region that we are open for business – accommodations, attractions, parks, recreation operators, restaurants, and transportation providers including ferries and flights are available to make your visit as enjoyable as possible.
For guests currently visiting or planning a trip, Destination British Columbia has provided resources to check the latest information. http://www.hellobc.com/british-columbia/about-bc/know-before-you-go.aspx
In addition, staff at British Columbia’s visitor centres can help with trip-planning information, alternative driving routes and reservation changes.
The BC Wildfire Service offers a variety of resources including:
- An interactive map of all active wildfires across the province
- Twitter: @BCGovFireInfo
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo/
- Campfire bans, restrictions, and forest use
It is recommended that visitors:
- Call their airline to ensure they are operating within the chosen destination.
- Check DriveBC to plan the route, and adapt their itinerary as needed.
- Call the businesses that they have made reservations with—operators can provide up-to-date information about the conditions around their property.
- Follow the above social media accounts for the latest news.
# # #
Vancouver Island continues to be recognized as a premier vacation destination. In 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014, Travel + Leisure magazine readers voted Vancouver Island as Number 1 Island in Canada, and has been among the top three islands since 2001.
In 2016, Conde Nast Traveler magazine readers voted Vancouver Island as #6 Island in the World up from #7 in 2015.
- 2011 to 2013: Vancouver Island #1 Island in Canada in Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards.
- 2000-2008: Vancouver Island Best Island in North America by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler.
This prestigious travel magazine has been conducting a Readers’ Choice award program since 1988.
President & CEO
Tourism Vancouver Island