Executive Director Tourism Tofino
About Tourism Tofino
Tourism Tofino, the sixth largest DMO in British Columbia as per Destination British Columbia MRDT statistics, is the destination marketing and management organization for the District of Tofino. Accountable to a volunteer Board of Directors, Tourism Tofino is responsible for driving visitor demand and promoting Tofino as a desirable destination to leisure travellers and media, as well as delivering indestination messaging. This includes the operation of a year-round Visitor Centre. In partnership with a diverse group of stakeholders, Tourism Tofino increases the economic benefit for area tourism businesses, organizations, our destination, and surrounding communities.
Tourism Tofino is currently seeking an innovative, charismatic Executive Director (ED) to lead their established team. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the ED is responsible for the overall implementation and execution of the organization’s strategic plan. This position will drive Tourism Tofino’s strategic direction through oversight and activation of key marketing strategies, supporting and building strong community relationships, managing budgets and the team.
Tofino is a forward-thinking community of approximately 2,000 full-time residents, situated on traditional Tla-o-qui-aht territory on Vancouver Island’s remote west coast. While our tourism-driven economy continues to thrive with high-quality visitor amenities and services, Tofino remains very much a small, casual coastal town (at heart) with one main grocery store, no traffic lights and a relaxed ambiance. Most residents live to be on or near the ocean and take conscious action in preserving the rich ecosystem of the Clayoquot Sound UNESCO Biosphere.
• Create policies, develop activities and processes that align with the organization’s strategic plan, and ensure Tourism Tofino is leading industry trends, and current with statistics and research.
• Develop operational budgets and plans, ensuring all activities are legally compliant, fiscally and operationally sound,
• Formulate annual strategic plans with the support of the Board of Directors and report to funders and stakeholders
• Build rapport and maintain strong, productive relationships with staff, the community, tourism agencies, various levels of government, partners and stakeholders and;
• Represent Tourism Tofino professionally at industry events and act as a spokesperson for the organization.
Education & Experience
• A degree with a focus in business, tourism management or related field and/or 5+ years’ experience in a senior leadership position, ideally in a destination marketing organization and/or marketing capacity in increasingly responsible positions in a managerial capacity;
• Excellent creative and strategic thinking skills;
• Sound knowledge of human resource management; experience with strategic planning and working within a governance model;
• Excellent working knowledge of financial management, including accounting principles, contract administration and budget management;
• Facility management experience is considered an asset; • Exceptional verbal, written and crisis communication skills, demonstrated media relations experience and confidence in front of media and in the public eye. Leadership
• Ability to achieve desired organizational results by encouraging and supporting the effective contribution of others;
• Self-starter, motivated to explore new and creative destination marketing initiatives and programs, revenue streams and potential partners;
• Strong management skills gained through progressively complex supervisory & management experience with a sound knowledge of destination marketing; program development; financial control and contract management.
• A proactive and positive team player who leads by example; sets and communicates clear goals and effectively builds on the skills of individuals within a diverse team.
• Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches, encourages new ideas and innovations; designs, or oversees the development and implementation of new or cutting edge programs/processes.
The high-level energy and expertise demands of this position will be compensated with a great deal of job satisfaction and a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package commensurate with education, experience and skills. This position is based in Tofino.
Chemistry Consulting Group has been retained by Tourism Tofino to conduct this ED search. Applications will be accepted until Friday August 11, 2017 and review of applications will begin immediately. For first full consideration, you are encouraged to submit your information to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.