Pick a winner and give customers what they want: A memorable, exciting, relaxed, affordable, active and eagerly repeatable vacation to an island destination repeatedly cited as the best in North America and one of the finest in the world by the discerning readers of Condé Nast Traveler.
Tourism Vancouver Island engages with the travel trade on a number of different distribution channels. Our trade team facilitates creative, collaborative, win-win partnerships with operators in Canada, U.S. and in the overseas markets. They have the experience, connections and enthusiasm to assist operators with the creation and fulfillment of new itineraries best suited for their clients.
Contact our Island-based team by phone or email. Or schedule an appointment at such marketplaces as Rendez-Vous Canada, TAP Dance, Canada’s West Marketplace, NTA, Go West Summit as well as regional travel-trade gatherings such as Discover BC.
Tourism Vancouver Island’s trade department hosts an ongoing series of familiarization tours for the travel trade. Over the years, we have hosted receptive tour operators, tour operators and wholesalers, reservations agents, travel agents and the CTC in market representatives.
These trade FAM tours have resulted in new tours and product being added to tariffs and additional nights factored into itineraries. Recently, we hosted reservation agents and the product manager from UK-based Prestige Holidays, and its team was astounded with the Island’s diversity. Armed with this knowledge, they will now be encouraging their clients to extend their stays and travel more extensively around the region.
Travel Trade Services
Tourism Vancouver Island supports the travel trade in a variety of practical, efficient and rewarding ways. These include:
- Providing sample itineraries to the travel trade to support planning and creation of new tours.
- Coordination of logistics for familiarization tours.
- Assist in connecting the travel trade with stakeholders in the Vancouver Island region.
- Keeping Vancouver Island top of mind when selling to their clients.
- Assist with travel-trade planning by providing free copies of Tourism Vancouver Island’s annual publications – Vacation Guide, Outdoor Guide, Vancouver Island Tour Planner, Garden Trail, Wine & Culinary Guide and the Golf Vacations Guide.
- Free access to the outstanding promotional and marketing photos and videos housed in our Digital Asset Library.
Our registered stakeholders value client relationships at all levels of the business: customer, receptive tour operator (RTO), tour operators/travel operators, and retail travel agents alike. As export-ready suppliers, they are committed to:
- Offering fair, industry standard rack or retail pricing, agent commissions and wholesale net rates.
- Providing contracted wholesale net rates to RTOs – typically 15% off retail prices for day activities and transportation; and 20-30% off accommodation book rates. Higher discounts are common for volume business.
- Preparing detailed pricing and program information at least a year ahead of the selling season while also involving RTOs in any marketing and sales promotions.
- Acting in a fully professional manner (i.e., same-day booking confirmations, effective billing arrangements, accepting client vouchers as confirmation of payment for reservations, etc.).
To determine if your business is export ready review the Export Ready Criteria